Recipe: Slow Cooker Pork and Apple Stew
- October 24, 2012 - 2:41 PM
SLOW COOKER PORK AND APPLE STEW
Note: Perfect for hungry pre-trick-or-treaters and easy to make ahead with the slow cooker. From Meredith Deeds.
• 2 lb. boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut in 11/2 -in. pieces
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
• 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 2 medium onions, diced
• 11/2 c. low sodium chicken broth
• 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-in. pieces
• 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1-in. pieces
• 1/2 c. apple juice concentrate
• 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Season the pork with salt and pepper and toss with the flour to coat.
Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown half of the pork. Transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and pork.
Lower heat to medium and add onions. Sauté for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer onions to the slow cooker. Deglaze the pan with the stock, scraping up the brown bits. Add to the slow cooker.
Add the carrots and the apples to the slow cooker. Whisk the mustard into the apple juice concentrate and add to slow cooker. Stir the ingredients to combine.
Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
Serve over egg noodles or rice.
© 2016 Star Tribune