ADVERTISEMENT

Lakewood Memorial Chapel

Star Tribune,

Lowry-Goodrich Mausoleum

Star Tribune,

Fridley Monument

Star Tribune,

Flour Mill Explosion Memorial

Tom Sweeney, Star Tribune

Memorial Community Mausoleum and Columbarium

, Star Tribune

More Lakewood landmarks

  • Article by: Linda Mack
  • Special to the Star Tribune
  • May 26, 2012 - 5:40 PM

Lakewood Memorial Chapel, 1910

Minneapolis architect Harry Wild Jones designed the chapel in the Byzantine style. The interior, by Charles Lamb of New York. has been called the nation's most perfect example of Byzantine mosaic.

Memorial Community Mausoleum and Columbarium, 1967

The symmetrical monument of Minnesota granite, steel and bronze was designed by the Detroit firm Harley Ellington Corwin and Stirton. The interior features Impressionist paintings as well as 24 stained-glass windows by the Willet studios in Philadelphia.

Fridley Monument

The arched granite monument honors frontier agent and state Rep. Abram Fridley (1817-1888).

Flour Mill Explosion Memorial

The 1885 obelisk recognizes the 18 workers killed in the Washburn "A" Mill explosion of 1878, one of the city's worst disasters.

Lowry-Goodrich Mausoleum

Lakewood's largest monument, a replica of the Parthenon in Athens, holds members of the Goodrich and Lowry families. Thomas Lowry, who died in 1909, and Dr. Calvin Goodrich, who died in 1915, were Lakewood founders.

© 2014 Star Tribune