Healthy Family recipe: Chipotle Chicken Soup
- April 25, 2012 - 2:00 PM
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN SOUP
• 4 (6-in.) corn tortillas, cut into strips
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 (14 oz.) can whole tomatoes
• 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (to taste)
• 4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
• 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thinly
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained
• 12 oz. cooked chicken, shredded into bite-size pieces
• 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the tortilla strips on a large baking sheet and toss with the oil until thoroughly coated. Sprinkle with the salt and bake for 10 minutes or until the strips are golden.
In a blender, combine the tomatoes and the chiles. Purée until smooth.
Pour into a large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken stock, garlic and ground pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Add the garbanzo beans and chicken and season if necessary with salt.
Divide among 6 soup bowls. Garnish with the cilantro and avocado and serve hot with wedges of lime.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 325 Fat 13 g Sodium 430 mg
Carbohydrates 29 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 84 mg
Protein 26 g Cholesterol 50 mg Dietary fiber 7 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 bread/starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2016 Star Tribune