With an insider’s eye, Hot Dish tracks the tastiest bits of Minnesota’s political scene and keep you up-to-date on those elected to serve you.

Contributors in Minnesota: Patrick Condon, Baird Helgeson, Patricia Lopez, Jim Ragsdale, Abby Simons, Rachel E. Stassen-Berger and Glen Stubbe. Contributors in D.C.: Allison Sherry, Corey Mitchell and Jim Spencer.

Thissen calls on Gauthier to not seek second term

Posted by: under Minnesota campaigns, Minnesota legislature, Democrats, Republicans Updated: August 20, 2012 - 5:34 PM

House Minority Leader Paul Thissen is asking a fellow Democratic legislator to not seek re-election after a police investigation uncovered that he had a sexual encounter with a 17-year-old boy at a Duluth rest area.

“I am deeply disappointed with Rep. Kerry Gauthier’s conduct,” Thissen said in a statement. “The conduct was wrong and no one in the DFL House caucus condones the behavior.”

Gauthier, a DFLer from Duluth, was admitted to a local hospital for shortness of breath last Wednesday as results of the investigation became public. Thissen said he finally had a chance to talk with Gauthier since his release from the hospital over the weekend.

“As I shared with Rep. Gauthier, I believe he should withdraw from the race for re-election,” said Thissen, DFL-Minneapolis.

Gauthier has not responded to countless interview requests the last few days. Not more details were available on the extent or severity of his illness.

Thissen is the most high-profile elected Democrat asking him to not seek a second term. A growing number of GOP legislators and party officials have demanded Gauthier resign immediately.

After the investigation became public, Duluth City Council member Jay Fosle announced he would wage a write-in campaign for Gauthier's seat. Republican Travis Silvers is also running for the seat, in a solidly DFL district.

Last week, the St. Louis County Attorney’s office decided not to pursue charges against Gauthier for engaging in oral sex with a 17-year-old male. The county attorney opted not to press charges because the age of consent is 16.

Gauthier and the boy, who is not named because he is a minor, told authorities the sex was consensual and no money changed hands during the incident July 22.

The teenager had responded to Gauthier's ad on Craigslist seeking a romantic encounter.
 

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT