TRAVEL Q&A: TSA-approved identification

Q My mother will be going with us to San Francisco for a family wedding. Since she no longer drives, she has no valid photo ID. What can we use to get through airport security, and where can we get it?

A Among the list of IDs accepted by the Transportation Security Administration is a state government-issued identification card, which looks similar to a driver's license. That's your best bet, since other accepted forms, such as a passport or a "Trusted Traveler" card, cost more money and are intended for avid travelers (a Minnesota identification card will run you $18). Bring your mother to any office that issues driver's licenses (check for locations at and carry along her old driver's license, provided it expired no more than five years ago. Without that, you'll need two forms of ID. One must include her full legal name and year of birth. If her current name differs from her birth name, you'll also need a certified copy of her marriage certificate or other legal document verifying the name change. The secondary document could be her Social Security card. For more information on the state card, go to or call the Minnesota Department of Public Safety at 651-297-3298.

Answers to travelers' questions appear in Travel weekly and every Monday at; send your question by e-mail to


CALLING ALL READERS: Split Rock needs your photos

Congratulations to the towering stalwart on the North Shore: Split Rock Lighthouse turns 100 this year. To help mark the anniversary, the Minnesota Historical Society is putting out a call for vintage vacation photos taken at the site before 1980. The best photos will be part of an exhibit in the lighthouse's visitor center this summer. The society has created an online community on Flickr, where you can view or download images. Go to and log in or join. Once you're signed in, search for the "vintage Split Rock Lighthouse" group by clicking on the "group" button at the top of the page.


TRAVEL TRIVIA: Flying like George Clooney

In the movie "Up in the Air," the main character earns 10 million frequent-flier miles. A few travelers actually have amassed 10 million miles -- but it's as rare as glimpsing a giant squid. In the real world, earning 100,000 miles annually gains you top elite status on most airlines. Earn 75,000 miles and you get Medallion Platinum Elite on Delta/Northwest (the airline also has a Diamond Elite level for 125,000-milers). Sadly, most regular travelers never even make it to 25,000 miles to earn bottom-tier elite status.


NOW OPEN: New stops in Louisiana

Louisiana's African American Heritage Trail has added seven new sites to its statewide route. The trail, which now has 33 attractions, also has a new Website,, with an interactive map, pictures, a blog and audio vignettes. An iPhone application is in the works.


AIRLINE UPDATE: Fees heading up

The move by U.S. airlines to charge extra for services that used to be included in ticket prices will grow to include more European and Asian carriers, according to research from the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA), based in Australia. Baggage fees are one of the fast-growing ways airlines are earning extra cash. Others include charging for seat selection, in-flight services and products and sales of insurance. U.S. airlines will earn $4 billion in baggage fees this year. The full report is available at


SIDEROADS: 20 years of winter fun

The 20th annual Klondike Days, Wisconsin's annual winter celebration of North Woods life, takes place Feb. 20-21 in Eagle River. The event features an American Indian cultural exposition, a Living History Museum, snow and ice sculptures, snowshoe races, a lumberjack competition and more. (1-800-359-6315; 1-715-477-2810;