Two Minneapolis school board members plan just one term

  • Updated: January 19, 2014 - 7:14 AM

Newly elected school board Chairman Richard Mammen said he’s planning to step down after one term as a board member so that he can give board duties precedence over campaigning. And on Friday, board member Alberto Monserrate said he’s not running for a second term, either.

Mammen, 63, was elected chairman Tuesday night on a 7-2 vote. He said that to do the job of chairman, he needs to eschew the campaign jobs of raising money and pounding lawn signs. “To be effective, I need to focus on the role of chair.”

Mammen said that he waited to make his announcement until after he knew if he would be chairman, and that it was possible that he would have sought another term had he not won the seat. His departure from the field leaves a citywide board seat open this fall.

Monserrate, who had been agonizing over the decision for weeks, said he finally decided that the demands of his business interests would take more time than he could spare for board work.

STEVE BRANDT

Twitter: @brandtstrib

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement
Golden Gavel by Star Tribune

Countdown to great deals

Bid Sept. 21-29

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Do you support Wednesday's decision to sideline Adrian Peterson again?

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close