Apartment residents missing after Minneapolis apartment fire that injured 14, three critically

  • Updated: January 2, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Blast and blaze at grocery with apartments upstairs left 14 hurt, six critically.

In the subzero stillness of New Year’s Day morning, an explosion and fire tore through a century-old building in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis, injuring at least 14 people — six critically — and destroying an immigrant-owned grocery store and the 10 apartments above it.

Family members and friends reported that three or four others known to have lived in the apartments have not been located and are feared dead.

Minneapolis Fire Chief John Fruetel said authorities don’t know if all the residents are accounted for. Some made it out on their own, some had to be rescued with ladders and witnesses said others jumped from second- and third-floor windows.

Firefighters and investigators haven’t been able to enter the building and likely won’t until at least Thursday. Building inspectors were at the scene to assess the building’s condition and determine whether it’s safe to enter, Fruetel said.

It could be days or weeks before a cause is determined, he said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

The building is a total loss. By midafternoon, burned rafters, still billowing smoke, hung like wooden pickup sticks in the shell of the brick building. The second and third floors had collapsed. More than eight hours after the first report at 8:16 a.m., firefighters still directed two hoses full-force through what was once the roof of the building. Fruetel said crews would be at the scene well into the evening.

The building housed the Otanga grocery store. The apartments above it were apparently all occupied by single men, most of them East African immigrants, a resident said.

Seeking friends, information

Dozens of neighbors, many who live in the Cedar-Riverside towers behind the burned building, crowded into the Brian Coyle Community Center nearby with fire, police and city officials, as well as reporters and camera crews, seeking information.

Omar Hassan approached police Inspector Medaria Arradondo after the news conference. His friend Ahmed Farah Ali lived in the building and hasn’t been found. Neither Ali nor his roommate was answering their cellphone. His uncle in Connecticut hadn’t heard from him, and he wasn’t at Hennepin County Medical Center, where some victims were taken, Hassan said.

No one by that name had been admitted to the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, on Riverside Avenue S., or North Memorial Medical Center, either.

Abdifatah Ahmed, who works at a nearby pharmacy, watched from his Riverside Plaza apartment as the fire burned below.

“You know how lava comes out of a volcano? It was literally spewing out just like that,” he said. “It just kept on developing all over the building. … The fire and smoke were taking over the whole entire sky.”

Residents from other buildings were watching from nearby sidewalks. Fire officials cordoned off the area at 6th Street and Cedar Avenue S. Streets were slicked with ice from the water used on the fire.

Ismail Adan, 34, a truck driver, has lived in the building since 2002. He said his mother had called him early in the morning and he left to visit her, but a cousin who was staying with him was in the third-floor apartment when the explosion occurred. He said the cousin jumped out of the building and was injured, but he has spoken with him by phone in the hospital.

“He’s OK. It’s not very serious,” Adan said.

  • related content

  • Scene of fire.

  • Survivor runs through fire to safety

    Thursday January 2, 2014

    Awakened by explosion, survivor ran down stairs and through fire to safety.

  • Photo gallery: Fire engulfs Cedar-Riverside building

    Saturday January 4, 2014

    Thirteen people were injured, six critically, after an explosion caused a fire in the bustling Cedar-Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis.

  • Video: Explosion survivor describes his escape

    Wednesday January 1, 2014

    Adani Ali describes being woken by an explosion and making a harrowing escape from the inferno.

  • Video: Officials working to contain Cedar-Riverside fire

    Wednesday January 1, 2014

    Firefighters work to contain a fire that started early Wednesday at the building that housed the West Bank Grocery...

  • Audio from initial moments of the building explosion

    Wednesday January 1, 2014

  • Video: Warsame adresses community in Somali

    Wednesday January 1, 2014

    City Council member-elect Abdi Warsame adresses community members in Somali

  • An explosion rocked the Otonga grocery store, near 6th Street and Cedar Avenue S., about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday. The second and third floors collapsed.

  • Ward 6 Minneapolis city councilman spoke to the media after a fire an explosion at 514 Cedar Avenue January 01, 2014 in Minneapolis ,MN. Thirteen people were injured, six critically, early Wednesday morning after an explosion caused a major fire at a grocery store and apartment building in the bustling Cedar-Riverside neighborhood ] JERRY HOLT ‚Ä¢ jerry.holt@startribune.com

  • Adani Ali was bandaged in his hands after he escaped the fire in his apartment complex on Cedar Avenue in Minneapolis, Minn., on Wednesday, January 1, 2014. ] RENEE JONES SCHNEIDER ‚Ä¢ reneejones@startribune.com

  • Adani Ali, 74, burned both of his hands as he dashed through the flames after the explosion woke him. “I was scared, really scared,” he said.

  • The blaze at the Otonga grocery, a neighborhood mainstay, drew groups of onlookers to the windows of nearby buildings and sidewalks.

  • A Minneapolis firefighter came down from a ladder truck after spraying water on a building that burned Wednesday January 1, 2013 on Cedar Ave near 6th Ave. The frozen building shell is in the background. ] GLEN STUBBE * gstubbe@startribune.com

  • At the fire’s peak, flames were shooting 20 feet into the air. People in the apartments on the upper floors jumped from the windows to get out, survivors and witnesses said.

  • Subzero temperatures and mounting ice challenged firefighters. “These are very treacherous conditions,” Fire Chief John Fruetel said.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters






question of the day

Poll: Who are you rooting for in the NCAA Final Four?

Weekly Question