Moroccan-Spiced Chicken Legs Under Bricks
Note: You’ll need a baking sheet and two foil-wrapped bricks (or a cast-iron pan — it’s the heaviness that you need). From Jamie Purviance of Weber Grills.
• 1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. packed roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
• 1/3 c. plus 1 tbsp. packed roughly chopped fresh mint leaves, divided
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
• 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 2 tsp. kosher salt
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 2 tsp. paprika
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 4 whole chicken legs, trimmed of excess fat and skin
To make the marinade, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/3 cup mint, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, cumin, paprika, garlic and pepper.
Cut a few deep slashes in the meaty part of each chicken leg. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium-high heat (400 to 500 degrees).