Baked snapper with peppers and mushrooms
Note: From “Good Housekeeping 400 Calorie Italian.”
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 medium orange and/or yellow peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 8 to 10 oz. sliced mushrooms
• 1/2 c. dry white wine
• 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus additional thyme for garnish
• 6 skinless, boneless snapper, sole or flounder fillets (4 oz. ea.)
• 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add peppers and onion, and cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add mushrooms, wine and thyme; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, spray a 9- by 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange fillets in baking dish, folding narrow ends under. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Spoon hot vegetable mixture from skillet on top of fish in baking dish. Bake fish 15 to 18 minutes, or until opaque throughout. (Instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center of fillet should register 145 degrees.) Garnish with additional thyme leaves.