BOUNDARY WATERS WILD RICE SOUP
Note: To toast almonds, spread nuts in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven until almonds are lightly browned and fragrant, about 7 to 10 minutes. From "The Marshall Field's Cookbook."
• 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 c. diced yellow onion
• 1 small leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed well, and thinly sliced
• 11/2 c. sliced button mushrooms
• 3/4 c. diced carrots
• 1/2 c. flour
• 6 c. chicken broth
• 11/2 c. cooked wild rice
• 1/2 roasted chicken, skin and bones removed and meat chopped (1 to 11/2 c.)
• 1 c. heavy cream
• 5 tbsp. dry sherry
• 2 tsp. salt
• 11/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme leaves
• 2 tbsp. slivered almonds, toasted, for garnish
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add leek, mushrooms and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add wild rice, chicken, cream, sherry, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Ladle into bowls, garnish with almonds and serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 410 Fat 27 g Sodium 1,700 mg
Carbohydrates 28 g Saturated fat 16 g Calcium 85 mg
Protein 14 g Cholesterol 95 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges: 1 bread/starch, 1 other carb, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 4 fat.