Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 4 bread/starch, 3 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
nicole hvidsten, deputy design director
My family is firmly divided when it comes to chili: Half of them like red chili, the others prefer a white chili. This version is something we all agree on. The absence of kidney beans won my kids over. Well, that and the fact that the recipe calls for Fritos.
Tex-Mex corn chip chili √
Serves 4 to 6.
This recipe is adapted from one that appeared in the Rachael Ray magazine. It has become so popular in my house that I just double it from the start. It also makes a great meatless meal — just use twice the beans and leave out the beef.
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lb. lean ground beef
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped (about 1 c.)
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp. chili powder, or more to taste
• 1 tsp. ground cumin, or more to taste
• 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, undrained
• 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
• 1 (10-oz.) can tomatoes with green chiles
• 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced, if desired
• Salt and pepper
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?