You can have it for ... $379,900 -- a condo with a colorful history as Minneapolis Fire Station 23.
Ann Elliott painted her condo's fireplace red and hung black-and-white vintage photos of a fire station in the foyer. They're a decorative homage to her home's colorful history as Minneapolis Fire Station 23.
The distinct turn-of-the-century brick building, graced with three archways facing Hennepin Avenue S. near 35th Street, was renovated and converted into four condo units in 1991.
"It's the history of the space that makes it so unique," said Elliott, who bought her home in 2005 and found the photos of the fire station, with horse-drawn fire carts, from the Minnesota Historical Society. She also was attracted to the unit's exposed brick, 10-foot-high ceilings and two-sided wood-burning fireplace. The open living spaces are covered in golden hardwood floors, except for the kitchen, which has a Mondo rubber floor she called "comfortable and practical."
After Elliott sells, she plans to buy a home with a yard. "I know I won't find anything quite like this," she said.
One of the things Elliott will miss most is her summer reading retreat on the open side balcony, which holds potted plants and a grill.
"The condo offers the possibility of a rooftop deck," she said. "You can add stairs from the balcony to the roof for an excellent view of Uptown."
• The 1,326-square-foot condo has two levels with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
• The two-sided fireplace faces the living room and bedroom and serves as a dividing wall.
• Elliott uses the first level as a den/office, but it also can serve as guest quarters.
• The unit is on the back of the building with tall southwest windows to draw in lots of natural light.
• The first-level laundry room, with a washer and dryer, offers lots of storage.
• Location, location, location. Lake Calhoun, Lakewood Cemetery walking paths and Elliott's favorite restaurant, Lucia's, are only a few blocks away.
Schelly Braden, of Coldwell Banker Burnet, has the listing; 612-920-5605.
To have a unique property considered for a Homegazing feature, please send digital photos and a description to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynn Underwood • 612-673-7619.