Homemade Cough Drops
• 3 inches peeled ginger root, sliced into ½-inch pieces
• 3 cold-and-flu tea bags or other therapeutic tea (optional)
• 4 cups water
• 1 cup raw honey
• 10 drops food-grade peppermint essential oil
• Confectioners’ sugar
Boil ginger, tea (if using) and water together. Reduce to about 1 cup by simmering on low. Strain and reserve liquid.
Heat tea mixture and honey together in a thick-bottomed pot over medium heat. Do not allow to boil over (adjust temperature as needed). Stir constantly until the mixture reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.
Add the peppermint oil. (It may smoke a little.) Stir rapidly to incorporate. Pour immediately into small candy molds or onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Sil-Pat mat and dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
If not using candy molds, let the mixture rest, then cut into 1-inch-by-½-inch rectangles with a well-greased knife. Once cooled completely, dust each drop with confectioners’ sugar, wrap with wax paper, and store in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to three months.
•1 cup coconut oil
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 30 drops peppermint essential oil
• 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
• 15 drops rosemary or tea tree essential oil