Warm Mushroom Barley Salad
Note: From “Market Math,” by the editors of Food & Wine magazine.
• 1 c. barley
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 12 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
• 5 shallots, thinly sliced (2 c.)
• 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper
• Sliced green onions, for garnish
In large saucepan of boiling water, cook barley until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat olive oil. Add mushrooms and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and barley and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with green onions.