Crab Louie Triple-Decker Sandwiches
Note: Make this for Mom and her friends on Mother's Day — or any day. From “Charlie Palmer’s American Fare,” by Charlie Palmer.
• 1 1/2 lb. Dungeness or lump crabmeat picked clean of all cartilage and shell
• Green Goddess dressing (see recipe) or Thousand Island dressing
• 8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
• 1/4 c. chopped green olives
• 18 slices white bread, toasted
• 2 flavorful tomatoes, peeled, cored and cut crosswise into thin slices
• 12 slices thick-slice applewood-smoked bacon, cooked
• 6 large leaves iceberg lettuce
Place crabmeat in a medium mixing bowl and add just enough dressing to moisten it. Set aside.
Place eggs in a medium mixing bowl and, using a kitchen fork, smash them into large chunks. Add the olives along with just enough dressing to hold the mixture together.
Lay 6 slices of toast on a clean work surface. Spread each one with a nice coating of the dressing. Mound an equal portion of the crab mixture on each slice. Top with a couple of tomato slices.
Lightly coat both sides of 6 slices of toast with a thin layer of the dressing. Place one slice on top of the crab. Top it with a layer of the egg mixture and then with 2 slices of bacon and a leaf of lettuce
Lightly coat one side of the final 6 slices of toast with the dressing. Place the toast on each stacked sandwich on top of the lettuce, dressing side down, pushing slightly to hold the stack together.
Using a serrated knife, cut each sandwich into 4 equal triangles. Insert a toothpick into each triangle to hold it together. Serve immediately.
Green Goddess Dressing
Makes about 2 cups.
Note: From “Charlie Palmer’s American Fare.”
• 1 c. mayonnaise
• 1/2 c. fresh buttermilk
• 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil, well drained and finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, finely minced
• 1/4 c. mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, flat-leaf parsley and tarragon
• 1/4 c. chopped greens from green onions
• 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper
Combine mayo and buttermilk in a small mixing bowl. Add anchovies, garlic, herbs, onion greens and lemon juice, stirring until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.