For a second straight game the Lynx had to work overtime. But this time they didn't get paid.

DeWanna Bonner made two free throws with 7.4 seconds left — after a foul was called on Napheesa Collier that both she and Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve disputed — to give host Connecticut an 83-82 victory Thursday.

It left the Sun (4-0) as the WNBA's last undefeated team. The Lynx (2-1) lost for the first time after back-to-back victories over Seattle to start the season.

It was a case of missed opportunity for the Lynx, who were up five after Courtney Williams' jumper with 1:41 left.

The Lynx went 12-for-20 from the free throw line in a one-point game. In overtime they were 2-for-5, including two misses by Collier.

"My missed free throws," said Collier, when asked about the most difficult part of the one-point loss. "I feel bad for my team. When you miss free, easy [points] like that. I take a lot of pride in that. If I'd made my free throws we could have won."

Collier did just about everything else. She had a game-high 31 points on 13-for-23 shooting with 11 rebounds. She scored Minnesota's final four points of regulation, including two free throws with 32.1 seconds left and a game-tying layup with 11.6 seconds left.

To be fair, it wasn't all free throws. With starting center Alanna Smith (10 points, seven rebounds) fouling out in the fourth quarter, the Lynx found it increasingly difficult to slow the paint-driven Sun down low. Connecticut scored 46 points in the paint. After Bonner's 20 points, posts Brionna Jones (19) and Alyssa Thomas (18) were tough to slow inside.

"We battled," Reeve said. "But it just didn't happen tonight."

But those free throws.

Natisha Hiedeman opened the OT scoring, making one of two free throws. After a Lynx stop, Collier scored and was fouled, but missed the free throw. After Jones scored, Hiedeman drove for two. Moments later, with 1:41 left, Williams drove and scored, putting the Lynx up five.

At the other end, Thomas scored and, after a Lynx turnover, Minnesota native Rachel Banham hit a contested three to tie the game with 40.8 seconds left.

Seconds later, Collier went 1-for-2 from the line for a one-point Lynx lead. Thomas scored with 17.4 seconds left, but Kayla McBride answered with 13.6 seconds left.

Bonner's free throws sealed the deal on a night when both Collier and Williams (10 points, seven rebounds, six assists) and Collier were battling leg cramps.

Williams scored 19 points with seven rebounds and six assists. McBride scored 13.

BOXSCORE: Connecticut 83, Lynx 82 (OT)

"There were too many other plays that transpired," said Williams, refusing to let Collier take the blame.

"As I told them in the locker room, it's great to have battles like this early in the season. When we get down to the nitty gritty, these are games we can lean on."

It was a wild start. The Lynx came out firing, building a 23-13 first-quarter lead, only to have the Sun respond with a 23-6 run that started in the final minute of the first and ran into the first 6 minutes of the second.

After that the two teams settled down, battling the rest of the way.

The Sun had a 24-19 edge on points off turnovers, a 46-36 edge in the paint. The Lynx made 29 of 47 two-point shots (61.7%) but just four of 21 threes.

And then, those free throws. "I couldn't agree more," Reeve said. "We fought our way through it last game. But, unfortunately, not tonight. We take care of that we're not concerned with what's happening with the officiating."


* Diamond Miller was held out of action in the second half with a right knee issue. Miller had off-season surgery on her left knee.

The Star Tribune did not send the writer of this article to the game. This was written using a broadcast, interviews and other material.