A 22-year-old man is recovering from severe burns he suffered when an electric vehicle charging station he was working on exploded.

Zavier Chevere, a high voltage electrical technician, was installing the unit on May 20 at the Holiday station on Dellwood Drive in Baxter, Minn., when it caught fire and exploded around noon, according to a Brainerd Fire Department incident report.

"The victim suffered extensive burns on his body," the report reads.

Chevere grew up in Forest Lake and had been enlisted as a member of the Minnesota National Guard for several years, according to an online fundraiser to help his family.

"He possesses various attributes of strength and courage and we are all here to support him in his recovery," the posting said. "Miracle one, he is alive. And there will be more miracles."

As of Wednesday, the fundraiser has brought in about $17,000 of its $200,000 goal.

The Baxter Police Department is handling the investigation.