Our cabin was originally a two-room farmhouse. It was built in 1939 on Portage Lake near McGregor, Minn. The cabin has been in the family for 50 years. A three-season porch was added soon after. Light came from kerosene lamps and Coleman lanterns. Electricity, indoor plumbing, a furnace, and hot water came much later, along with the addition of two bedrooms and a bathroom with shower. We are now working on the fourth generation of family who have spent many memorable times enjoying the peace and quiet of being Up North in the woods away from it all. The old cow pasture remains mowed, allowing a great view of the lake as we cook our dinner over a fire of red oak underneath a grill made from the original chimney bricks. Talk about a little piece of heaven.
James Young, Rosemount