Police shot and wounded an armed man who they say refused to drop his gun Wednesday morning at a park in Crystal, city officials said.

There is no word late Wednesday on the condition of the man, who was hospitalized. The officers, who a witness said fired several shots, were not hurt.

Police Chief Stephanie Revering said officers went at 8:54 a.m. to Bassett Creek Park near Brunswick Avenue N. and 29th Avenue after a resident of a nearby apartment building called police to report a man with a handgun near the Frisbee park. Revering said officers spotted the man and repeatedly told him to drop the weapon.

"Our officers, believing they were in imminent danger, discharged their firearms toward the suspect and immediately provided first aid," Revering said.

The suspect was taken by medics to the hospital. A handgun was recovered at the scene.

Revering said she couldn't comment on why the officers eventually fired, saying the incident was under investigation by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. She did not know the man's condition or whether the man had mental health issues.

The officers involved are on paid administrative leave, Revering said, adding that she did not yet know how many were involved.

"The job of our law enforcement officers who patrol our city every single day is one of the toughest jobs in this country," Revering said. "These men and women put their lives on the line every day. The number of guns on the streets in the metro area and the growing number of shootings make an already difficult job that much more dangerous."

According to scanner audio, police spotted the man with a black handgun who was "refusing to put it down."

Within a minute, another officer can be heard on the audio screaming, "Shots fired! Shots fired!"

A moment later, an officer reported to dispatch that "we've got one down." An ambulance was immediately requested.

The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will investigate the shooting.

Diane Meyer, who lives at the intersection where the shooting occurred, said she first heard a police K-9 barking before a brief standoff. Meyer said she saw police with their guns drawn hiding behind their squad car doors.

"I did hear them yell out to a person, 'Keep your hands where we can see them, we don't want to hurt you!' "

Eventually, she heard several shots fired. Meyer did not see the suspect.

A BCA crime lab van remained on the scene well into the morning, while entrances to the park were blocked off by multiple police agencies.

andy.mannix@startribune.com • 612-673-4036 paul.walsh@startribune.com • 612-673-4482