Want to do your own thrifting? Follow these suggestions from Tandem Vintage owner Amanda Baumann:
1. Check out the whole store. It takes a bit longer, but it pays off.
2. Don't forget the return racks by the fitting rooms.
3. Be patient.
4. Go often. The merchandise turns over often. In some cases, you could go to the same shop every day and find treasures.
5. For discounts, shop on holidays.
6. Wear a crossbody bag or backpack to keep your hands free.
7. Bring a friend. It's always good to have a second opinion.
8. Hit the road. Check out thrift stores in small towns outside the metro area.
9. Be sure to look at the blankets. Finding a Faribault throw or a Pendleton blanket makes the digging worth it.
10. Let yourself out of your fashion and decor comfort zone.