WHITE BEAN AND BACON CHICKEN CHILI
From "The Picky Palate," by Jenny Flake.
• 1/2 lb. bacon
• 1 Anaheim chile pepper
• 6 oz. pearl onions, peeled
• 1 c. peeled, shredded carrot
• 1/2 c. diced celery
• 11/2 tbsp. minced garlic
• 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 c. shredded cooked chicken
• 2 (15-oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Separate the bacon into strips, add to a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, and cook, turning once or twice, until browned and crisp.
Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and discard all but 3 tablespoons of drippings in pot. When bacon has cooled, crumble into small pieces.
Cut chile pepper in half lengthwise, remove seeds and membrane, then dice pepper. Heat reserved bacon drippings over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery and chile pepper to oil and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, chicken, crumbled bacon, beans, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes before serving.