Baseball is winding down, but football has arrived to re-energize a slumbering sports scene.
After spending part of the weekend with a bevy of sports fans, these three questions emerged as talkers as we head down the home stretch of summer and head into fall:
1. Gophers vs. Vikings: Which football team will win more games this season?
• Why the Gophers: They should be improved in their second season under Jerry Kill, they have a soft early schedule and it's not crazy to think they could win six or even seven games.
• Why the Vikings: Well, they get 16 games to do it, more than the Gophers. And they, too, are improved and look to have some winnable games.
• Best guess: Let's go with the Vikings, even though we're reasonably optimistic about both teams. If both teams are at or around .500, the tie goes to the team that gets to play more.
2. Robert Griffin III or Andrew Luck: Which rookie quarterback will have the most passing yards in 2012?
• Why RG3: The Redskins have been dreadful in recent years -- 15 victories in their past three seasons -- but much of it was due to poor QB play. With RG3 in the mix, a decent offensive nucleus will evolve.
• Why Luck: He's being called the best QB prospect since perhaps Peyton Manning, a once-per-decade kind of guy. Luck can make all of the throws, and he will do it plenty with the Colts trailing often.
• Best guess: We'll say RG3 based on not much more than a hunch. Both QBs have looked the part already in the preseason, but Griffin III should get more help.
3. Ben Revere vs. Joe Mauer: Which of these players, among the AL leaders, will finish 2012 with the higher batting average
• Why Revere: He broke out of a 3-for-20 slide with a 4-for-4 game Sunday, meaning a hot streak could be on the way. Plus, all those infield hits because of his speed -- 35 -- are a huge boost.
• Why Mauer: He's the proven horse, having won three batting titles already. He, too, could be due for a good streak after a cool August (.267).
• Best guess: Have to take Mauer here, but it will be a good battle. Neither one, though, is likely to win the overall crown.
|NY Mets||12:05 PM|
|San Diego||2:05 PM|
|Chicago WSox||2:05 PM|
|Kansas City||2:05 PM|
|Univ of Minnesota||6:05 PM|
|New York||6:00 PM|
|LA Lakers||7:00 PM|
|NY Rangers||7:00 PM|
|Ohio State||5:00 PM|
|George Washington||6:00 PM|
|Notre Dame||6:00 PM|
|SE Missouri St||6:00 PM|
|St Francis-PA||6:00 PM|
|Mount St Marys|
|Long Island||6:00 PM|
|La Salle||6:00 PM|
|Sacred Heart||6:00 PM|
|Wake Forest||7:00 PM|
|St Bonaventure||7:00 PM|
|New Mexico St||7:00 PM|
|SIU Edwardsville||8:00 PM|
|St Johns||8:00 PM|
|Miss State||8:00 PM|
|Utah State||8:00 PM|
|Air Force||9:00 PM|
|Colorado State||9:00 PM|
|Boise State||9:00 PM|
|San Jose St|
|San Diego St||10:00 PM|
|UC Santa Barbara||10:59 PM|
|Wake Forest||12:00 PM|
|Eastern Illinois||12:00 PM|
|Austin Peay||2:00 PM|
|Virginia Tech||2:30 PM|
|Penn State||5:00 PM|
|Youngstown St||6:00 PM|
|Coll of Charleston||6:00 PM|
|William & Mary|
|Ball State||6:00 PM|
|Western Mich||6:00 PM|
|Ohio U||6:00 PM|
|Boston U||6:00 PM|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm||X||10-6|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm||X||30-28|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm||X||30-12|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm||X||19-3|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon||X||34-6|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon||X||30-7|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon||X||20-9|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm||X||41-28|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm||X||42-10|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon||X||17-3|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon||X||17-16|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon||X||19-13 ot|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon||X||29-26|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon||X||21-13|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon||X||24-21|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon||X||31-13|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon||X||30-24 ot|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||3:25 pm||X||16-14|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon||X||37-35|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon||X||13-9|
Poll: Who is doing the best job coaching a Minnesota pro sports team?