• Glen Perkins is having a great year as a closer with 22 saves and a 2.97 ERA for the Twins. The team is fortunate to have signed the former Gophers hurler to a four-year extension in March that calls for $4.025 million this year, $4.65 million in 2015, $6.3 million in 2016 and $6.5 million in 2017. Perkins no doubt would have received more money had he gone into free agency.
• Center fielder Aaron Hicks is hitting .288 at Class AA New Britain. He has hit .343 with three doubles, three RBI and five runs scored over his past 10 games.
• NCAA rules prevent Gophers football coach Jerry Kill from mentioning the names of any players who have been offered scholarships after attending this summer’s football camps. Kill did say several showed the ability to play Big Ten football and have been offered for the 2015-2016 season.
• Phil Jackson hired former Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis for the Lakers after Rambis lost his job here. Now that Jackson is president of Knicks basketball, Jackson has named Rambis associate head coach with head coach Derek Fisher. Rambis won four NBA championships as a player with the Lakers.
• Former Wolves player and vice president Fred Hoiberg will be in Rochester at the Mayo Clinic on Tuesday to have his pacemaker replaced because of low batteries. Hoiberg had open heart surgery in 2005, which ended his playing career, and knew the replacement was eventually coming. Hoiberg is now head basketball coach at Iowa State. “It’s not a big surgery,” Hoiberg told the Des Moines Register. “It’s very routine for people with pacemakers.”
• Former Bloomington Jefferson and Kansas center Cole Aldrich, who finished the NBA season strong with the Knicks, has a good chance of being a top contributor for the team next year. Aldrich had nine points and 15 rebounds in 31 minutes in his first game with the Knicks’ summer league team in Las Vegas. … Several players with Minnesota ties playing in the NBA summer league. Former Gopher Trevor Mbakwe has averaged 6.5 points and six rebounds through two games with the Lakers, and he might have a real shot at making the roster because L.A. has become so thin upfront with the departure of Pau Gasol to the Bulls. … Former Roseville standout and Bucknell graduate Mike Muscala is averaging 13 points and 10 rebounds through two games with the Atlanta Hawks. … Former Hopkins standout Trent Lockett is averaging 13.7 points and 4.3 rebounds with the D-League Select team.
• The Gophers basketball program has offered a 2017 class scholarship to Gary Trent Jr. of Apple Valley. His father Gary Trent, who is one of the Apple Valley coaches, played with the Trail Blazers, Raptors and Timberwolves in a 10-year NBA career.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 7:40, 8:40 and 9:20 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org