Page 2 of 2 Previous
“There is a chance [they’ll go to spring training]. We haven’t put that list together but the production they’re giving us — I think a lot of times you need to reward people and they’ve put themselves in a position to be rewarded.”
Ryan also talked about when the decision will be made on whether manager Ron Gardenhire is back next year.
“It will be at the end of the year,” he said. “I think I have stated and Jim Pohlad and Dave St. Peter and myself, we’ve all stated the same thing, once the season concludes, we’ll address the situation with Gardy and the staff. At the end of the season, [the other coaches’] contracts expire along with Gardy’s and along with mine.”
• David Benedict, executive associate athletic director for the Gophers, reports that only 3,500 seats are left for the Aug. 29 home football opener against UNLV. Benedict said the marketing department has worked hard on the student sale and it’s possible as many as 8,000 could show up for the game, including many freshmen. … Las Vegas oddsmakers have the Gophers as a 14-point favorite over UNLV.
• The Gophers and Ohio State are exploring the possibility of staging an outdoor hockey game at TCF Bank Stadium this season. However, at the present time, there is a better chance the game won’t be played there in 2013-14.
• Former Gophers quarterback MarQueis Gray caught one pass for 13 yards in his preseason debut with the 49ers against the Chiefs last week.
• Corey Brewer was a first-round draft choice (seventh overall) of the Timberwolves in 2007 and, after playing with the Mavericks and Nuggets, is back with the Wolves. He was asked if the fans are going to see a different Brewer than they might remember. “I am a whole different player now,” the 6-9 forward said. “I’m better. I got to go to Dallas and win a championship and learn from guys like Shawn Marion, Jason Terry and Jason Kidd, and I was in Denver and we were winning. It was all about winning. … I feel like I was making the open three. I know how to get my shots and I know what to do and what not to do.”
• USA Today has released the results of a fan poll that named Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport, Iowa, as the best minor league field in America. Last Saturday at the park, the team gave away 2,000 Justin Morneau bobbleheads. The Twins first baseman started the 2001 season at Class A Quad Cities. He was promoted after batting .356 in 64 games while making the transition from catcher to first base.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
|San Diego||7:25 PM|
|Washington||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|San Francisco||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Seattle||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Chicago||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Houston||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Buffalo||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|New England||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Philadelphia||12/15/13 12:00 PM|
|Kansas City||12/15/13 3:05 PM|
|NY Jets||12/15/13 3:05 PM|
|Arizona||12/15/13 3:25 PM|
|New Orleans||12/15/13 3:25 PM|
|Green Bay||12/15/13 3:25 PM|
|Cincinnati||12/15/13 7:30 PM|
|Baltimore||12/16/13 7:40 PM|
|North Dakota St||73||FINAL|
|New Mexico St||48||FINAL|
|Utah Valley U||62|
|Army||12/14/13 2:00 PM|
|(12) Penn State||79||FINAL|
|South Dakota St||83|
|Utah Valley U||70||FINAL|
Poll: Do you agree with baseball's plan to ban collisions at home plate?