A group of competitors from the Science Museum of Minnesota was unable to keep thier milk carton boat from tipping over during the Aquatennial celebration Sunday afternoon at Thomas Beach on Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis.
Anthony Souffle, Star Tribune
Aquatennial: Sandcastle, milk-carton boat race winners announced
- July 19, 2009 - 6:22 PM
Sandcastle building and milk-carton boat races were the highlight's of Sunday's Aquatennial events.
Sandcastle competition winners
• First place for sand sculpture category and also best of show: The Runaways, led by Erik Jorgensen, of St. Paul, and Kendall Bohn, Rich Fenton, Paul Taylor and Kodi Johnson, all of Minneapolis.
•First place in the sand pail category (families and kids under 16): Quicksand, led by Thibault Bertschy, 5.
• First place in the sand castle category: Simply Goofy, international group of grad students from the University of Minnesota representing Ireland, Honduras, Portugal and St. Cloud, Minn., led by Adela Oliva of Honduras.
• Giggle award: Team led by Brian Jensen of Richfield.
• People's choice award: Sandus Pylups, led by Bill Wegwerth of Maplewood.
• First place in Simply Summer category: Sand Monkeys, led by Kate Haraldson of Minneapolis.
Milk-carton boat race winnersRace No. 1, Commodore's Race (age 19 and under): •First place, speed: Billie Jean, led by Rob Werling of Minneapolis. •First place, creative: Swedish bobsled team, led by Nick Youngberg of Farmington. Race No. 2, Skipper Race (cow-themed boats): • First place, speed: Sponge Bob Rodeo, led by Wyatt Salberg of Elk River. • First place, creative: Bovine Vikings, led by Michael Litkewitsch of St. Paul. Race No. 3, Lieutenant's Race (ages 12 and under accompanied by an adult) • First place, speed: Splattered Polka Dotted Cow, led by Mike Tierney of St. Paul team consisted of fifth- and sixth-graders from Highland Catholic School in St. Paul) • First place, creativity: Squid Attack, led by Tony Bracha of Farmington. Race No. 4, Admiral's Race (minimum of five crew members): • First place, speed: Water Snake, led by Denny Marquardt of Minneapolis • First place, creativity: Milkings, led by Sue Kasahara and family of Bloomington. Race No. 5, The Best Days of Summer Race (the more cartons, the better) • First place, speed: Water Snake • First place, creativity: Up, Up and Away!, led by Heather Menge of Eden Prairie Race No. 6, Celebrating 70 Years, Minneapolis vs. St. Paul: • Minneapolis.
© 2016 Star Tribune