- Article by: SID HARTMAN
- Star Tribune
- May 24, 2014 - 7:24 PM
• Former Gophers and NFL quarterback Adam Weber and current Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner are working out a lot together in the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex. Weber, who has signed to play for Saskatchewan in the Canadian Football League, was ranked with the smartest QBs to wear the maroon and gold in recent history. There is no doubt that Weber can make Leidner a better quarterback.
• Speaking at the Horseshoe Bay (Texas) Sports Club earlier this month, former Gophers men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith said the biggest disappointment in his career was being fired from the Gophers. “I noticed some unease in the office, and my wife called and said, ‘Are you getting fired? It’s on ESPN,’ ” Smith said, according to the Llano News. “I thought [at the meeting he was set to attend with Norwood Teague] I was getting a raise.”
• Any time you build a new stadium or do a complete remodeling job like the Green Bay Packers did with Lambeau Field, profit is going to jump. The Packers showed a record profit of $54.3 million after the 2012 season, and the Vikings should hope to match that figure when their stadium opens.
• Pat Neshek, the former Twins reliever from Park Center High School, is having perhaps the best season of his major league career, which began in 2006. Neshek, 33, entered Saturday 1-0 with a 0.86 ERA over 21 innings and 23 appearances for the St. Louis Cardinals. He had struck out 23 batters while walking just three and giving up only nine hits and two earned runs.
• Former Gophers basketball forward Trevor Mbakwe posted his third consecutive double-double as Virtus Rome defeated Cantu in Italy. Mbakwe had 14 points, 20 rebounds and five blocks in a victory Saturday. … Former Gophers center Colton Iverson is averaging 6.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game for Besiktas in Turkey.
© 2016 Star Tribune