10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 19, 2014 - 9:46 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. LANDMARK NUCLEAR DEAL SET TO BEGIN FOR IRAN
An Iranian official says limiting uranium enrichment and stockpile are the nation's "most important commitments."
2. UN SAYS IRAN INVITED TO SYRIA PEACE TALKS
Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon issued the invitation after "speaking at length in recent days" with the Iranian foreign minister, who "pledged that Iran would play a positive and constructive role."
3. IRAQ ANNOUNCES ALL-OUT OFFENSIVE AGAINST AL-QAIDA
Officials say government forces and allied tribal militias began to push militants from Ramadi, the capital of the largely Sunni western province of Anbar.
4. MLK DISCUSSED HIS ARREST, JFK IN RECOVERED 1960 TAPE
An audiotape of an interview with the civil rights leader showed that King, while appreciative, wasn't as quick to credit the Kennedys alone with getting him out of jail.
5. HOBOKEN MAYOR SAYS CHRISTIE BEHIND REAL ESTATE PLOT
Dawn Zimmer says an ultimatum about receiving Superstorm Sandy funds in return for support of a development project was "a direct message from the governor."
6. TWO WOMEN CHARGED IN EXORCISM MURDERS
Police say a Maryland woman who is accused of killing two of her children said she was trying to remove the presence of the devil and evil spirits.
7. HOW VIRGINIA HAS BECOME KEY IN GAY MARRIAGE FIGHT
A seismic political shift in the state's top three elected offices ushers in a new group of liberal Democrats who support gay marriage.
8. PUTIN LINKS GAYS TO PEDOPHILES
Putin offers new assurances to gay athletes and fans attending the Olympics next month, but he defends Russia's anti-gay law by equating homosexuality with pedophilia.
9. 'RIDE ALONG' ROLLS TO TOP SPOT AT BOX OFFICE
The Universal buddy cop comedy featuring Kevin Hart and Ice Cube debuted with an estimated $41.2 million.
10. SUPER BOWL MATCHUP SET
Russell Wilson and the Seahawks rally past the 49ers 23-17 in the NFC title game and will meet the AFC champion Broncos, who earlier beat the Patriots, in the Super Bowl.
© 2016 Star Tribune