10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 15, 2014 - 5:05 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NEW SPENDING BILL IS ABOUT MORE THAN MONEY
"We need to rack up some achievements here," Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., says about appeasing disgruntled voters before next fall's midterm elections.
2. DEADLY DAY IN IRAQ
A wave of bombings across Iraq strike busy markets and a funeral north of Baghdad, killing more than 40 people.
3 REPORT: NSA HAS SURVEILLANCE SOFTWARE IN COMPUTERS AROUND WORLD
The New York Times says the agency has used the technology on the Chinese army, the Russian military, drug cartels, EU trade institutions and more.
4. GANG RAPE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT IN INDIA
Police say a Danish tourist was attacked after she asked a group of men for directions near a popular shopping area in New Delhi.
5. HOW GOOGLE'S PURCHASE OF NEST COULD PLAY OUT
One analyst's scenario: Digital mapping software could "learn" a house's layout — then delegate vacuuming to a robot.
6. NO GOOD OPTIONS FOR FLEEING CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
Bordering countries like Chad, Congo and South Sudan are desperately poor and unstable too. "I just want to go somewhere there is peace," one man says.
7. SUPREME COURT CONSIDERING ABORTION CLINIC BUFFER ZONES
Justices hear arguments on a Massachusetts law that keeps protesters at least 35 feet from clinic entrances.
8. WHAT STATE IS FIGHTING A BIG HEROIN PROBLEM
Tiny Vermont — home of quaint village greens and low unemployment — ranks second in the U.S. for the rate of people being treated for opiate abuse.
9. MONSTER BEVERAGE GETTING SOME QUESTIONS
Officials in San Francisco and New York state are looking into whether the company is marketing its highly caffeinated drinks to children.
10. FUTURE OF MEDIEVAL GOLD AND SILVER TROVE GETTING CLOSER
A German commission convenes to recommend ownership of the Guelph Treasure, an issue Israel calls of great importance to Holocaust survivors
© 2014 Star Tribune