Thursday's prep sports roundup
- January 9, 2014 - 11:48 PM
Elks rally past Blaine
• ELK RIVER 6, BLAINE 4: Chase Springman’s three goals — two in the third period — helped the Elks, ranked No. 8 in Class 2A, rally for the victory over the Bengals, ranked No. 4. The Elks trailed 4-3 before Springman scored at 3:44 of the third to tie the score. He scored less than four minutes later to give the Elks a 5-4 lead.
Panthers top Eagan
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 4, EAGAN 0: Riley Tousignant and Taylor Flaherty each had a goal and an assist and Abby Cooper made 18 saves to lead the Panthers, ranked No. 7 in Class 2A, to the victory.’
Baker and Theisen pace No. 6 Orioles
• OSSEO 94, COON RAPIDS 35: Wheeler Baker scored 28 points and Ian Theisen scored 18 to lead the Orioles, ranked No. 6 in Class 4A, past the Cardinals. Baker scored 25 points in the first half as the Orioles (11-3) raced to a 61-20 halftime lead. With his 18th point, Theisen became Osseo’s all-time leading scorer. Theisen broke the school record of 1,492 points set by Bryan Foss in 2002.
• MARANATHA 89, PACT 66: Jeremiah Hanson scored 24 points and Josh Goldschmidt scored 21 to lead the Mustangs (11-0), ranked No. 7 in Class 1A.
Cougars outlast Elks
• CENTENNIAL 80, ELK RIVER 70: Daizjah Morris scored 21 points and Jasmine Bretoi scored 19 to help the Cougars, ranked No. 3 in Class 4A, overcome the Elks and Abi Scheid, who scored 30 points.
• MINNEAPOLIS SOUTHWEST 64, COOPER 54: Naja Woods scored 30 points as the Lakers held off the Hawks for the nonconference victory.
• MINNEAPOLIS WASHBURN 80, MINNEAPOLIS SOUTH 60: Chase Coley scored 20 points to help the Millers, ranked No. 8 in Class 3A, pull away from the Tigers.
• The Rochester Century boys’ swimming team took its 100th consecutive dual-meet victory with a 94-84 victory over Rochester John Marshall. The Panthers, 4-0 in dual meets this season, have won 10 consecutive Big Nine Conference titles and seven consecutive Section 1AA championships.
© 2015 Star Tribune