10 Things to Know for Friday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 9, 2014 - 7:55 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. CHRISTIE FIRES AIDE, APOLOGIZES TO FORT LEE RESIDENTS
The New Jersey governor's leadership and integrity have come into question as he lays the groundwork for a possible 2016 White House run.
2. WHAT TEMPERED HAGEL'S VISIT TO NUCLEAR MISSILE BASE
The defense secretary learned two officers at another facility are being investigated for allegations of drug possession.
3. HOW MUCH THE DEEP FREEZE MAY HAVE COST AMERICANS
School closures, airline disruptions, lost productivity and repairs could have a $5 billion price tag according to one estimate.
4. SYRIAN REBEL GROUP CLOSE TO COLLAPSE AS TALKS NEAR
The Western-backed coalition is dogged down by infighting particularly about whether to talk to Assad's government at the upcoming meeting in Switzerland.
5. AMIRI BARAKA, MILITANT MAN OF LETTERS, DIES
The controversial poet and playwright was both revered and reviled for works that called for revolution.
6. "CULTURE OF DISRESPECT" IN MILITARY SPORTS FUELS SEX ASSAULT SCANDAL
Officials say crude behavior and harassment are an endemic and almost accepted experience among athletes in the nation's service academies.
7. AUTOMAKERS DOING THEIR HOMEWORK ON SMART CARS
Car manufacturers say driverless vehicles need a legal framework to be a success.
8. WASHINGTON FACES LIMITED OPTIONS TO STEM SOUTH SUDAN VIOLENCE
The country, which came into being with heavy American support, is seeing sectarian violence that's threatening its independence success story.
9. DIPLOMAT ACCUSED OF LYING ABOUT MAID'S WAGES INDICTED
The Indian envoy was charged by a federal grand jury in New York City with visa fraud and making false statements before being asked to leave the country.
10. WHY YOU SHOULD WAIT TO BUY SUPER BOWL TICKETS
Expensive tickets can be found on the secondary market right now, but prices are expected to drop the closer you get to the game.
© 2017 Star Tribune