Sunday Supper: Morocan Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
- January 4, 2014 - 2:00 PM
Moroccan beef and sweet potato stew
Note: This will provide a fragrant reminder of the meal to come, with the scent of cinnamon, garlic and onions. For smaller slow cookers, it may be easier to combine ingredients in a separate bowl before adding to the slow cooker. This could also be made in a Dutch oven. From the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.
• 3 tbsp. flour
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
• 2 1/2 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 -in. pieces
• 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-in. pieces (about 3 c.)
• 1/2 c. regular or golden raisins
• 1 (14 1/2 -oz.) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
• Hot cooked couscous
• Chopped toasted almonds, optional
• Chopped fresh parsley, optional
Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3 1/2 to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker. Add beef, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top.
Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours or on high 4 to 6 hours or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Season with salt, as desired.
Serve over couscous. Garnish with almonds and parsley, if desired.
© 2016 Star Tribune