10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- December 9, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. MASSIVE TURNOUT FOR MANDELA SERVICE
Nearly 100 world leaders and tens of thousands of South Africans of all races and backgrounds pay respects to "a global icon of forgiveness."
2. HOW TECH COMPANIES ARE TRYING TO LIMIT SURVEILLANCE
In an open letter, a coalition of Silicon Valley giants like Google, Apple and Yahoo say internet spying threatens the industry's livelihood.
3. WHO'S GETTING RICH IN AMERICA
New survey data finds 20 percent of adults, largely older professionals, working married couples and more educated singles, become affluent for part of their lives.
4. CONGRESS VOTES TO RENEW BAN ON PLASTIC GUNS
Tougher restrictions, like requiring metal parts that cannot be removed, are defeated by Republicans.
5. WHY 18 LA DEPUTIES ARE FACING FEDERAL CHARGES
A U.S. attorney says they engaged in corruption and civil rights abuses, falsified reports, and tried to block FBI probe of the nation's largest jail system.
6. WHAT THE NATION'S TOP MILITARY LEADER WANTS
Army Gen. Martin Dempsey pleads with Congress to complete the defense bill before year's end.
7. VETERAN SAYS N. KOREA STATEMENT WAS COERCED
Former U.S. Army Lieutenant Merrill Newman, 85, says he was threatened with a lengthy prison sentence if he did not apologize for killing North Koreans during the war.
8. STUDY: 1 IN 5 LUNG TUMORS HARMLESS
Even though only cancerous tumors were considered, the analysis suggests the world's No. 1 cause of cancer deaths isn't as lethal as doctors once thought.
9. ANTARCTICA'S DEEP-FREEZE RECORD
NASA satellite data reveals the icy continent hit -135.8 degrees in August 2010.
10. LONGTIME RIVALS COME TOGETHER IN BASEBALL HALL OF FAME
With a combined eight World Series titles and more than 7,500 wins, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox, who spent decades trying to beat each other, make it to Cooperstown together.
© 2016 Star Tribune