Fire causes blackout on Greek resort island
- August 13, 2013 - 2:00 PM
ATHENS, Greece — Visitors to the Greek resort of Santorini faced candlelit dinners with warm beer after a power station fire left the entire island without electricity for more than eight hours at the peak of the tourist season.
Greece's electricity company said power was being partially restored to the Aegean Sea island late Tuesday.
No injuries were reported from the fire, the cause of which was not immediately known.
Santorini is one of Greece's main tourist destinations, attracting about 1.7 million visitors last year. It is famous for the view from its dramatic seaside cliffs at sunset.
The power company said the Greek navy would ship generators to the island early Wednesday.
© 2017 Star Tribune