Gophers spring practice notes: Pirsig injured, two big recruits on hand
- Blog Post by: Joe Christensen
- April 6, 2013 - 6:13 PM
I'm writing a story on Gophers defensive back Derrick Wells for our Sunday editions. In the meantime, here's some quick notes from Spring Practice #6:
- Jonah Pirsig, a redshirt freshman tackle from Blue Earth, went down with an apparent knee injury and had to be carted off the field after being helped to the sideline. The extent of the injury was not known, but he was on crutches after practice.
- CB Jeremy Baltazar was in an orange non-participation jersey with a back injury.
- The Gophers had two more highly coveted recruits visit practice -- Jeff Jones, the junior running back from Minneapolis Washburn, who has given the Gophers a verbal commitment for 2014, and Jashon Cornell, the sophomore defensive end from Cretin-Derham Hall, who has offers from Minnesota, USC, Notre Dame and Florida.
- The Gophers have held a moment of silence before each practice honoring linebacker Gary Tinsley, who died with an enlarged heart April 6, 2012. On Saturday, linebacker Aaron Hill wore Tinsley’s No. 51 as a tribute on the one-year anniversary of his death.
- There were two scuffles during practice, including one between defensive end Therein Cockran and offensive lineman Josh Campion. Coach Jerry Kill jumped right in both times to help restore order.
© 2013 Star Tribune