Childhood memories: A good game of "500"
- Blog Post by: Michael Rand
- February 26, 2013 - 3:19 PM
According to Twitter responses, tons of you also played it.
Our variation went something like this: One person stood a decent distance away from a group, hurling -- usually -- either a baseball or a football in the group's general direction. The higher the better. The more unpredictable the better. This also worked with a batted baseball.
When the ball was in the air, the group would jostle for position, and whomever caught the ball gained 100 points. If they dropped a ball, they lost either 50 or 100 depending on how punitive the game was. First one to 500 won, and then that person became the thrower/hitter.
1) Did you play different variations of the game?
2) Where does 500 rank on the all-time list of sports-related childhood games?
3) If we were to hypothetically organize a "Childhood Games Olympics" of some sorts this summer, what other games should be included and how fast would you sign up?
© 2016 Star Tribune