Chart: Five questions for the Wolves' final two months of the season
- February 20, 2013 - 12:53 AM
FACING THE TIMBERWOLVES IN THE SEASON'S FINAL TWO MONTHS
1. WILL KEVIN LOVE PLAY AGAIN THIS SEASON?
He's aimed toward a late March return, about the same time Chase Budinger is due back. But at that point will it make sense to bring Love back for just the final few weeks of the season? It will if you're trying to convince fans there's still a reason to believe in next season.
2. WILL THE WOLVES MAKE A DEAL BY THURSDAY'S TRADE DEADLINE?
If they do, expect them to deal future draft picks, Luke Ridnour and/or Brandon Roy's contract for a legitimately sized shooting guard. Possibilities: Boston's Courtney Lee, left, Orlando's J.J. Redick, Phoenix's Jared Dudley, New York's Ronnie Brewer, Utah's Alec Burks/Raja Bell or Philadelphia's Evan Turner.
3. WHAT DRAFT PICKS WILL THE WOLVES POSSESS COME JUNE, AND WILL DAVID KAHN BE DOING THE PICKING?
Unless they somehow make the playoffs, the Wolves will have both their own first-round pick and the Grizzlies' first-rounder. Owner Glen Taylor has proven loyal to a fault before, but will he really entrust the draft to a guy who has hit big only once -- Ricky Rubio -- in nine first-round picks so far?
4. WILL DERRICK WILLIAMS STILL CALL MINNESOTA HOME ON FRIDAY?
Most likely, but Love's return to good health probably dooms his long-term future here because both are undersized power forwards.
5. WILL THESE BE NIKOLA PEKOVIC'S FINAL MONTHS AS A TIMBERWOLF?
He's unlikely to be traded by Thursday, but a July sign-and-trade deal is a whole other matter IF Wolves management decides he's not worth a $12 million-plus salary offer he could get as a restricted free agent this summer.
© 2015 Star Tribune