Saturday's prep roundup
- January 20, 2013 - 12:25 AM
boyS' BASKETBALLHopkins' Novak wins 700th game
Hopkins defeated St. Paul Central 82-66 in boys' basketball on Saturday night, giving longtime Royals coach Ken Novak Jr. his 700th career victory.
Novak Jr. joined Bob McDonald of Chisholm, Bob Brink of Rocori and Ziggy Kauls of Mounds View in the 700 club.
Four Hopkins players scored in double figures, led by junior guard Jacob Wright with 19 points. The Royals built a 44-31 lead at halftime.
GIRLS' HOCKEYOutshot 46-8, Hopkins wins anyway
• HOPKINS 3, MINNETONKA 1: The Royals were able to pull out the victory despite being outshot 46-8. Erin O'Neil stopped 45 Skippers shots, and was aided by single goals from Shortie Sheran, Jillaine DeYoung and Nina Rodgers.
• ANOKA 2, ANDOVER 1: The Tornadoes scored two goals in the first period, and made them hold up the rest of the way in a one-goal win over the Huskies. Emilie Brigham and Blair Parent each had a goal and an assist.
• HILL-MURRAY 4, CHANHASSEN 3: A pair of third-period goals propelled the Pioneers to victory over the Hawks. Sarah Bobrowski had two goals and two assists for Hill-Murray, while Megan O'Brian's two goals paced the Hawks.
• ST. THOMAS ACADEMY 2, BRECK 1: Alex Johnson and Tom Novak each scored a goal as the Cadets bookended the Mustangs. Cadets goalie David Zevnik stopped 18 of 19 shots in the win. Michael Orke scored the lone goal for Breck.
• WHITE BEAR LAKE 5, EAST RIDGE 0: Five different Bears each tallied single goals, and goalie Chase Gorman turned away all 22 shots he faced in the Raptors' shutout victory.
• CRETIN-DERHAM HALL 56, WINONA COTTER 36: Kelly Cullen had 15 points and Jordan Alt added 12 more as the Raiders beat the Ramblers.
• ROSEVILLE 67, MOORHEAD 40: Jacqlyn Poss had 17 points to lead the Raiders past the Spuds. Kelli Tonn had 17 points to lead the Spuds.
• LUVERNE INVITATIONAL: Wabasso coach Gary Hindt became the third coach in Minnesota wrestling history to reach 700 career victories with a 56-6 win over Luverne. Hindt, in his 45th season of coaching, joined Scot Davis of Owatonna (984 victories) and Bill Sutter of Goodhue (760 victories).
© 2015 Star Tribune