Nebraska Omaha signs five, two from Twin Cities area
- Blog Post by: Roman Augustoviz
- December 21, 2012 - 2:44 PM
Denver was the seventh WCHA team to announce its recruiting class for 2013-14 today. It's on a blog posted today.
Here is one I missed earlier this month: the University of Nebraska Omaha signed five for 2013-14, including Jake Guentzel of Woodbury and Jake Montgomery of Oakdale.
“The five players who have signed can all have an immediate impact on our lineup as we move into the National Collegiate Hockey Conference next year,” Mavericks coach Dean Blais said in a UNO news release. “We were looking for skilled forwards and steady defensemen, the kinds of players who will help us be competitive in the NCHC, and we think we've got them.”
Four of the early signees last month are forwards, one is a defenseman. Four are playing in the United States Hockey League and the other in the North American Hockey League. The list:
* Forward Jake Guentzel, 5-9, 153, ranks second in scoring for Sioux City with seven goals and 19 points in 24 games. Guentzel played for Hill-Murray last season and led the team in scoring with 67 points. The Pioneers finished runners- up in the Class 2A state tournament. He is the son of Gophers associate head coach Mike Guentzel..
* Forward Jake Montgomery, 6-1, 191, is sixth in scoring for Sioux City this season, his first with the team. He has six goals and five assists for 11 points in 22 games. Montgomery appeared in 39 games for Shattuck St. Mary's Prep last season and had 20 goals and 38 assists for 58 points and 80 penalty minutes.
* Forward Jonathan “Jono” Davis, 5-8, 155. He is from La Verne, Calif., and is playing for the Wenatchee Wild of the NAHL. In 26 games, he has 19 goals and 13 assists for 32 points to lead the team in scoring. He has six power-play goals and four short-handed goals this season. He played two seasons in the USHL for Cedar Rapids and Dubuque where he totaled 15 goals and 17 assists for 32 points in 55 games.
* Forward Austin Ortega, 5-7, 170. He is from Escondido, Calif., and plays for Indiana of the USHL. He has 18 goals and 31 points in 29 games. This is Ortega's second year in the USHL. Last year, he had 19 goals and 14 assists for 33 points in 59 games for Cedar Rapids.
* Defensemen Ian Brady, 5-11, 193. He is from Lombard, Ill., and is playing for Cedar Rapids of the USHL for a third season. He has a goal and eight assists for nine points in 19 games. In 120 career games for the Rough Riders, he has six goals and 34 assists for 40 points plus 79 penalty minutes.
© 2013 Star Tribune