No. 6 Indiana routs Mount St. Mary's 93-54

  • Article by: MICHAEL MAROT
  • Associated Press
  • December 19, 2012 - 8:55 PM

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - No. 6 Indiana got back in sync Wednesday night.

Four days after a shocking loss to in-state rival Butler that cost the Hoosiers the No. 1 ranking, Cody Zeller had 16 points and six rebounds and Christian Watford added 15 points and eight rebounds as Indiana routed Mount St. Mary's 93-54.

Indiana (10-1) has won 28 consecutive nonconference games at Assembly Hall and looked like a team ready to make amends for its first loss of the season.

Five players scored in double figures, Indiana had a huge rebounding advantage over the Mountaineers 42-23 and the Hoosiers shot 70.6 percent — the fourth-best mark in school history.

The Mountaineers (4-5) were led by Rashad Whack with 17 points and Josh Castellanos and Sam Prescott with 10 each, but dropped to 0-13 all-time against the Big Ten and 1-20 against the Top 25.

Mount St. Mary's managed to hang around early by making eight consecutive free throws and knocking down 3-pointers.

Indiana answered every challenge, each coming with a more emphatic message.

The Hoosiers used an 8-0 run to take a 26-17 lead midway through the first half, and when the Mountaineers got within 30-26, Indiana finally had enough.

Victor Oladipo's steal led to a layup by Yogi Ferrell, Zeller posted up for a short jumper and Oladipo knocked down a 3 to extend the lead to 37-26. Indiana closed the half with two free throws and a layup from Will Sheehey and Watford's 3 on a fast break to make it 46-29. They opened the second half with a dunk from Zeller that sent Indiana on an 18-2 run that made it 64-31.

The only blip in the run was a basket by Castellanos that ended Mount St. Mary's streak of nine straight missed shots, and it never got closer than 31 points the rest of the way.

Indiana's resounding victory came on a bittersweet day.

Senior forward Derek Elston made his first appearance of the season midway through the first half after missing the first 10 games following surgery in October to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. He was given a standing ovation when he entered the game.

Just 2 1/2 hours earlier, coach Tom Crean announced that injury-prone guard Maurice Creek would be out indefinitely with an undisclosed injury to his right foot. The team said Creek was injured during practice Sunday.

© 2018 Star Tribune