Postgame: Perkins, Mauer, Dozier and Revere
- Blog Post by: Phil Miller
- May 27, 2012 - 7:15 PM
I wrote about Matt Capps in the game story and P.J. Walters in the notebook. Here are some quick leftover notes from the Twins’ 4-3 loss to the Tigers on Sunday:
* Glen Perkins’ last pitch in the eighth inning was 98-mph. He said the hot weather helped give him more heat.
* Joe Mauer went 2-for-5 with an RBI double, leaving his average at an even .300.
* Justin Morneau went 0-for-5 and left seven runners on base.
* Manager Ron Gardenhire kept shortstop Brian Dozier on the bench to start the game -- giving the kid a chance to clear his head -- but inserted him on defense in the ninth, when Jamey Carroll moved from shortstop to third base, replacing Trevor Plouffe.
* Ben Revere needs to bunt more, as shown in the third inning, when he bunted for a single and reached second base on third baseman Miguel Cabrera’s throwing error. But after Denard Span hit a leadoff single in the ninth, Revere went to put down a sacrifice bunt and popped out to Cabrera.
That's frustrating for the Twins, but overall, it was a good series for Revere, who went 6-for-14, raising his average to .291.
© 2014 Star Tribune