Gophers-BC game near single-market record locally for Frozen Four viewers
- Blog Post by: Roman Augustoviz
- April 12, 2012 - 1:29 PM
Nationally, the Gophers vs. Boston College hockey game last Thursday in the Frozen Four had a 0.3 rating, meaning 422,000 viewers watched the game, according to an ESPN source.
But the national semifinal, which was on ESPN2, did much better in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. It had a 5.1 metered market rating, the second highest rating ever recorded in any market for a Frozen Four game on the ESPN network.
That means that 5.1 percent of the 1.7 million households in the metro area watched the game, or about 88,000 households.
Since 2004, when ESPN's records begin, only Milwaukee had a higher metered market rating for a Frozen Four game. Its rating was 6.0 on April 6, 2008 for the championship game. Boston College beat Notre Dame 4-1 for the NCAA title that year in Denver.
* A date for the Gophers' awards banquet has not been set. One date being considered is May 4. There will be a lot to celebrate this year.
* Minnesota State Mankato officials say they would name a new hockey coach within a few days, according to a story in the Mankato Free Press. Click here.
The Mavericks also have signed another recruit, 6-3, 205-pound defenseman Nick Buchanon of Victoria, B.C. He plays for Penticton, the BCHL team loaded with Minnesotans.
* Don't be surprised if Gophers right wing Jake Hansen, a senior, signs with a pro team soon. Columbus picked him in the third round of the 2007 NHL draft.
* Boston College players rode on trolleys during a campus parade on Tuesday that went from the team's arena to O'Neill Plaza. All five national championship teams were recognized and represented at the celebration. The Eagles won titles in 1949, 2001, '08, '10 and this year. For more on the parade, click here.
Two of BC's top juniors have decided to turn pro and leave school early, according to a story on the school's web site. Forward Chris Kreider will sign with the New York Rangers. He was a first round pick of theirs in 2009. Defenseman Brian Dumoulin will sign with Carolina. The Hurricanes took him in the second round in 2009.
* The Gophers' 2012-13 schedule -- the last season they are in the WCHA -- should be coming out soon.
© 2014 Star Tribune