Timberwolves set to open season Nov. 2 at home vs. Atlanta
- Blog Post by: Jerry Zgoda
- July 19, 2011 - 2:19 PM
But the NBA is out with its 2011-12 season schedule early this year because there was no free-agency ramifications to wait for with the TV sked.
You can find the complete Wolves schedule here.
Whether any of these games actually ever will be played is questionable, but here are the Wolves' highlights:
* They're set to open Wednesday, Nov. 2 against Atlanta, which incidentally is Mike Woodson's former team. (He, in case you missed it, is the coaching candidate in town today interviewing with David Kahn and Glen Taylor).
* Even with Derrick Williams, Ricky Rubio and Nellie (OK, still a big if), the Wolves still didn't get a TNT, ESPN or ABC game, at least as far as I can tell from the schedules initially posted online.
They do a 6 p.m. ESPN game set for Nov. 25 at Target Center against Houston, which, by the way, would be the first return visit for new Rockets coach Kevin McHale (and Jonny Flynn, too).
There's also NBA TV games set for Dec. 21 at Phoenix, Jan. 25 at Boston and March 3 at Portland.
* LeBron, D-Wade and Miami's only visit is set for March 13.
They might actually be playing by then.
* The Bulls have 29 national TV games scheduled, the Heat 28, the Lakers and Thunder 27 each, but the Wolves just four.
Why in the world is that?
* Good news: Kobe, the Lakers and new coach Mike Brown's two visits are relatively late, Jan. 29 and Feb. 19.
* Derrick Rose and the Bulls don't come to town until Feb. 10.
* The longest road trips are two 5-gamers: At Washington, Lakers, Sacramento, Golden State and Portland in late November/early December and at Utah, Lakers, Sacramento, Golden State and San Antonio in March.
* Unusually, the Wolves aren't scheduled to play on Martin Luther King Day, Jan. 16 this time around.
* They're set to play all home games at 7 p.m. again, except for: That 6 p.m. game vs. Rockets on Nov. 25, 6 p.m. Sunday games against the Lakers in January and February and a 2:30 p.m. Sunday game against Denver on March 25.
Now, disregard everything I just said until there's a resolution to the labor issues in, say, December, January or next summer.
© 2015 Star Tribune