What is 2C-E?
- March 17, 2011 - 8:48 PM
2C-E, also called "Europa," is a synthetic compound identified as the one ingested by teens and young adults at a party in Blaine, including a 19-year-old man who died of an overdose.
It is a synthetic hallucinogen and is "just a molecule away" from another synthetic called 2C-B, which is "illegal, extreme and not approved for medical use," says Carol Falkowski, drug abuse strategy officer with the Minnesota Department of Human Services. She said these substances and cousins have produced adverse reactions, especially in combination with prescription drugs, antidepressants in particular.
Authorities said the 2C-E in this case appeared to have been ordered legally over the Internet. Falkowski said such purchases can be very risky, citing uncertainties over dosages and purity, among other concerns.Sources: Star Tribune reporting, Associated Press
© 2015 Star Tribune