Sausage and white bean casserole
- March 11, 2011 - 10:34 AM
SAUSAGE AND WHITE BEAN CASSEROLE
Note: Play up the earthy flavors of this hearty casserole by using parsnips or turnips in place of, or in addition to, the carrots. From "Dinner Tonight: Done!," by the editors of RealSimple magazine.
• 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
• 1 lb. Italian sausage links (about 8)
• 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 bunches Swiss chard, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 2-in. strips (about 12 c.)
• 2 (15.5-oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
• Kosher salt and black pepper
• 2 tbsp. bread crumbs
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Add carrots and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add chard and cook until wilted, 1 to| 2 minutes more.
Add beans, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to skillet. Nestle sausages in the beans and bring to a boil.
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle over the sausage mixture. Transfer the skillet to oven and bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
© 2015 Star Tribune