Recipe: Fish curry
- February 19, 2011 - 12:25 PM
Serves 6 to 8.
From "The Cleaner Plate Club," by Beth Bader and Ali Benjamin.
• 1 tbsp. canola oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, julienned
• 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. ground coriander
• 11/2 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1/2 tsp. chili powder
• 1 (4-oz.) can tomato paste
• 11/2 c. vegetable stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 lb. cod fillet (or other white fish)
• 1 (15-oz.) can coconut milk
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Hot cooked rice for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high. Sauté onion for about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers. Sauté a couple minutes longer, until onion begins to turn golden brown. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add spices and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Add vegetable stock and bay leaf and bring to simmer. Allow sauce to simmer gently while fish cooks.
Place fish on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, until fish is flaky, firm and no longer translucent.
Finish sauce by stirring in coconut milk and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as desired. Bring back to a simmer.
Transfer sauce to shallow serving bowl. Remove bay leaf. Add fish to bowl. Serve with hot cooked rice.
© 2014 Star Tribune