Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash and Pine Nut Penne
Many grocers, including Costco, offer pre-cut butternut squash, which makes this easy fall dish even easier. Look for it in the produce section. Note: To toast pine nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
• 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 5 c.)
• 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 12 oz. whole wheat penne
• 2 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
• 1/4 c. toasted pine nuts, plus 2 tbsp. (see Note)
• 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 tbsp.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast for about 30 to 40 minutes or until browned and tender.
While the squash is roasting, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until caramelized and walnut brown, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente as directed on the package, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.