Healthy Halloween Snack Mix
Makes about 3 cups.
• 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 2 tsp. spice blend, such as curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, divided (optional)
• Kosher salt and ground black pepper
• 1 3/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds (called pepitas), cleaned and drained, but not patted dry
• 3/4 c. dried cranberries, dried cherries, raisins, or a mix
• 3/4 c. unsalted raw or roasted pistachios, peanuts, almonds or cashews
Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Dry the chickpeas thoroughly by spreading them on a large plate and patting them dry with kitchen towels. Transfer to a bowl, then toss with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Once the chickpeas are evenly coated, transfer them to a baking sheet and spread them in a single layer. Bake on oven’s middle rack until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after the first 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl. Reduce the oven to 300 degrees.
Arrange the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake on the oven’s middle rack for 10 minutes.
After the pumpkin seeds have baked, in a large skillet over medium, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the pumpkins seeds and cook, stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring, until the pumpkin seeds are golden and crispy, another 3 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the seeds to the serving bowl. Add the cranberries and pistachios or other nuts and toss well.
Nutrition information per ¼ cup:
Calories 220 Fat 15 g Sodium 55 mg