Oven-Fried Herbed Chicken √
Note: If you cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise before breading, it makes for a more reasonable serving size and a piece that’s more manageable for little hands. Panko bread crumbs are larger and lighter than traditional bread crumbs, which could be substituted. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 c. low-fat buttermilk
• 1 (3 lb.) chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces (see Note)
• 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
• 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs (see Note)
• 1 tbsp. finely minced fresh herbs (any combination of thyme, rosemary, sage and/or basil)
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
To prepare chicken, combine buttermilk and chicken in a shallow dish, turning to coat.
Combine flour, bread crumbs and herbs in a shallow dish. Transfer chicken from buttermilk to a work surface. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dredge chicken in flour/bread crumb mixture, shaking off excess; set aside.
Pour the oil and butter onto a large baking sheet. Add chicken, meat side down, and bake for 15 minutes. Turn chicken over, and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165 degrees.
Nutrition information per serving: