SAUSAGE AND ROASTED BELL PEPPER CALZONE
From "Simple Suppers," by Jennifer Chandler.
• Unbaked pizza dough, enough for 2 (10-in.) pizzas, divided into 4 equal dough balls
• 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra to brush on crust
• 3/4 lb. mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
• 1 c. thinly sliced red onion
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 c. whole-milk or part-skim ricotta cheese
• 11/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
• 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 c. finely diced roasted red bell pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Let pizza dough come to room temperature.
In large saucepan over medium heat, warm oil until a few droplets of water sizzle when carefully sprinkled in the pan. Add sausage and cook until meat is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to colander and drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
Add sliced onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove onions from heat.
In large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, oregano and red pepper flakes. Fold in cooked sausage, cooked onions and roasted red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place each dough ball onto a baking sheet. Using your hands, gently flatten and pull into circles, about 5 inches in diameter. Brush each crust with olive oil and season dough with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon 1/4 of filling on half of each disk, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold other side over filling to make a half-moon shape and pinch edges together, making sure calzone is completely sealed. Repeat with remaining calzones. Brush tops with olive oil.
With a fork, poke a few holes in the top for steam to release. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.