So far, construction on I-35E between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue has been mainly confined to lane shifts, temporary ramp closings and a handful of weekend shut downs.
Starting Wednesday, things will get more frustrating for 35E commuters as lane and ramp closures kick in. They will be in place until mid-October.
MnDOT says southbound I-35E will be reduced to two lanes starting at 7 p.m. Shortly after the following ramps will close:
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Hwy. 36
- Both eastbound and westbound Hwy. 36 to southbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
Northbound traffic will be slimmed down to two lanes sometime next week, although an exact date has not been announced. When restrictions go into effect, these ramps also will close:
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue
- Roselawn Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to both eastbound and westbound Hwy. 36
- Both eastbound and westbound Hwy. 36 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Little Canada Road
The construction is part of a project that includes adding a MnPASS Express Lane between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue, improving the pavement on I-35E and replacing the Arlington Avenue the Wheelock Parkway, and Larpenteur Avenue and the Gateway Trail bridges.